learning to become less so that he might become more

Saturday, July 10, 2004

how easy it is to forget.

Maybe if I continued to remember the decapitated cows in Morocco it would make me a vegetarian. Something in me does not connect that to the fajitas that I eat or the ground beef in a cheeseburger. There was some way-weird tuna at lunch today, too, but Robin and I could not figure out what it was that was wrong with it…

Looking back at this weekend and the things that made me happy... I am a better student than I am practitioner. As I sit here and look at all these passages about how Jesus and Paul responded to Pharisees and how they might respond to Muslims and reading the scripture for the signs of the times in these days… I love it. I love reading the word and seeing the patterns and hearing God speak. But I want that stuff in the schoolroom to come out and change my words in the streets and the way I relate to those who don’t know God. This is a good reminder of why I loved seminary and why I left it to come here. It is easy to love God quietly and in the secret place. It is easy to excel in thinking about God. I want to excel in being transformed to be like God.

And I really want to go and read Phillip Jenkins. I don’t know why I never have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home